Quick Guide to Volunteering
WHAT IS A VOLUNTEER?
Volunteering is an activity which takes place through not-for-profit and community organisations and projects or your local community and is undertaken:
- to be of benefit to the community and the volunteer
- of the volunteer’s own free will and without coercion and
- for no financial payment.
Volunteering can deliver a wealth of benefits including:
- A means of building self-esteem and/or confidence
- A great way to learn or develop skills and interests
- A pathway to enhance work experience
- Enhance your health and get active
- A way to meet new people or broaden your social circle
- As an expression your gratitude for help you may have received in the past
- An opportunity to support a cause you feel strongly about
- Making a real difference to your community.
TYPES OF VOLUNTEERING OPPORTUNITIES:
|Events volunteering||Exhibition volunteering|
|General guide||Graphic Design|
|IT and computing generally||Marketing/publicity|
|Visiting||Writing and Editing|
and so much more!
Wondering what to do next?
1. Register to Volunteer
Complete the registration form Alternatively, telephone the Volunteer Referral Service on 02 9261 3600 between 10 am and 3.30 pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
2. Participate in an Interview
When you register online or call the Volunteer Referral Service – an interview time will be set with you to discuss your skills, desires and interests so as to better match available volunteer roles with potential volunteers.
Please note that ALL dealings with Volunteer Involving Organisations and the Volunteer Referral Service are conducted in English.
3. Attend a free workshop
The Bridge to Volunteering workshop is held on Fridays from 10.30 am to 12.30 pm at our offices located at 40 Gloucester Street, The Rocks. The workshop covers the benefits of volunteering including then rights and responsibilities of Volunteers. Should you wish to attend this workshop please book via the Centre for Volunteering’s website at http://www.volunteering.com.au/event/bridge-to-volunteering.
Translated Versions of this page can be downloaded below:
Other languages to come soon!
If you’ve got more questions – download and read answers to our FAQs