Volunteers are not paid — not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless.
There are a whole range of reasons why we want to help you and your steps towards volunteering. Volunteering is great not only for those who are helped and the community, but for volunteers too!
Why Volunteer? Change a life…your own!
Volunteering is good for you and your community. Benefits include:
- Building your self-esteem and/or confidence
- Learning or developing your skills and interests
- Finding a pathway to enhance work experience
- Enhancing your physical health and mental well-being
- Meeting new people or broadening your social circle
- Expressing your gratitude for help you may have received
- Supporting a cause you feel strongly about, and
- Adding value to the organisations that support the community.
Keen to volunteer? What are the steps to volunteering?
Find out how with these steps to volunteering:
1. Attend a free introductory seminar
Bridge to Volunteering is a free, weekly seminar for new volunteers. You will find out about the benefits, rights and responsibilities of volunteers and organisations. We recommend you attend a session if you are a first time volunteer or have not previously volunteered in Australia.
Bridge to Volunteering workshops are held weekly on Fridays 10.30am- 12.30pm. Bookings are essential. Join us and learn more about volunteering! Book here.
2. See what types of volunteer roles are available
Search for a volunteer role that interests you by looking on the following sites and submit your expression of interest online.
- Search for a role using the Find a Volunteer Position search engine
- If you wish to use a different website to look for a position you can use the NSW government volunteering portal.
- Corporate Volunteering Opportunities
3. Interested in a Skilled Volunteer role? Sign up to our Skilled Volunteering Weekly Alert newsletter.
This newsletter showcases a sample of volunteer roles available. Sign up here
You can view a range of skilled volunteering opportunities here.
4. Keen to volunteer for a Special Event?
If you would like to be notified of Special Event volunteering opportunities sign up here.
5. Complete a Volunteer Registration Form or submit an Expression of Interest through the volunteering Portal
Your Volunteer Registration Form is sent to the Volunteer Referral Service (VRS). The VRS will contact you and help match you with a suitable volunteer opportunity.
6. Make a date for an interview and get matched to a volunteer role
When your online application has been received the VRS team will contact you to schedule an interview. We can do this over the phone or face-to-face at our office in The Rocks, Sydney.
During your interview we will find out what you like to do, and learn about your skills and interests. This helps us match you to the role you expressed interest in or another suitable volunteer role.
We will provide you with the details of the organisation offering the position. We also send the organisation confirmation that you have been interviewed and referred to them.
7. Contact the not-for-profit organisation
When we refer you to an organisation we will give you their contact details and send them yours. You must then contact the organisation yourself to discuss the volunteer role.
Do you still have a question about volunteering? View our FAQs
Translated versions of this page can be downloaded below: