The Foundation considers requests under the following four categories, seeking to support organisations and programs whose work benefits:
- Education and Technology: To enhance Australia’s technical capacity and to provide opportunities and support for all Australians to reach their full potential.
- The Environment: To promote, enhance and conserve Australia’s natural resources.
- Health: To support improved physical and mental health as well as quality of life for all Australians.
- Social Welfare, and The Arts: To strengthen our community and address social and economic disadvantage and to promote the development of and access to the arts.
Applications for Small Grants – $15,000 or less
Applicants will be notified of the outcome within a month of the Board Meeting held in May. It is preferable for applicants to apply earlier in the process rather than leaving it to the last minute at the end of February.
Small Grants are the most popular bracket of funding either requested from applicants or eventually distributed by the James N Kirby Foundation. Please note Small Grants encapsulate funding from $3,000 to $15,000 inclusive.
Applications for this funding category must include the following three items:
- A completed on-line Small Grants application form available on this website. Please note that all fields of the application form must be completed. Applications received after 5pm ESDT on 28 February will not be accepted.
- A covering letter of no more than 1 x A4 pages that must be on the letterhead of the entity endorsed as the DGR and must be signed by a Director, CEO or responsible person of the DGR. It should provide a brief description of your organisation, advise any previous grant history with the James N Kirby Foundation, and also include a list of the names and qualifications of your organisation’s Chair, Directors, CEO or Department Head.
- On no more than one A4 page, a total cost and breakdown of the budget of the project and how you will be meeting those costs. In addition, please advise if you are seeking funding as a one-off cost or will it continue past the funding period, and if so, how will you secure future funding.
Applications for Large Grants – More than $15,000
Applications for Large Grants require a more extensive application process with greater scrutiny. The Foundation introduced an internal system whereby grantees were identified, researched and shortlisted for final selection. More detailed proposals will be presented during the financial year and finally assessed at the board meeting held in May each year.
All grant applicants are to complete and submit the application form enclosed on this website. In addition to the application form the following two items must be included:
- A covering letter of no more than 1 x A4 pages that must be on the letterhead of the entity endorsed as the DGR and must be signed by a Director, CEO or responsible person of the DGR. It should detail any previous grant history with the James N Kirby Foundation, and also include a list of the names and qualifications of your organisation’s Chair, Directors, CEO or Department Head.
- On no more than 1 x A4 page, a total breakdown of the budget of the project and how you will be meeting those costs. In addition, please advise if you are seeking funding as a one-off cost or will it continue past the funding period, and if it is to continue, how will you secure future funding.
The James N Kirby Foundation can only consider requests from organisations with current Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) endorsement. Our Foundation does not make grants to auspiced entities (i.e. an organisation that applies for funding through another organisation which has DGR status.)
The James N Kirby Foundation makes distributions within Australia only, with priority given to organisations in NSW or, in some cases, to national level programs whose work primarily benefits NSW.
- Funds can only be applied specifically for the purpose as outlined in the original application. If not, the funds must be returned immediately.
- With a few exceptions, our Foundation does not provide multi-year funding or make grants that constitute the sole funding of an initiative.
- We fund specific projects and may allow a small proportion of administration costs in any project on a selective basis.
- We do not consider applications for grants of less than $3,000 or more than $15,000 within a 12 month period other than those who are invited to put forward a large grant.
- Recipients are required to provide an acquittal report at the end of the project.
The James N Kirby Foundation does not provide funding for:
- Organisations whose DGR status has lapsed or is due to lapse.
- Organisations that are not based in Australia or mainly work overseas.
- Generic public fundraising appeals.
- Capital or endowment funds established to provide a corpus for institutions.
- Emergency requests or disaster appeals.
- Travel and accommodation costs (other than for the provision of services to regional, rural and remote communities).
- Projects which obviously duplicate existing services.
- Political projects and/or lobby groups.
- Event fundraising, marketing and promotional expenses.
Applications close: 28 February, 2019 at 5pm (ESDT).
For more information visit the Foundations website.