The Centre for Volunteering has partnered with the NSW Police Force to offer volunteers and organisations a national police check at the reduced rate of $15. Once obtained, this check remains in the applicant’s personal portfolio and can be used towards future volunteering applications and endeavours.

Who it’s for

For individuals you must be:

  • 14-years old or over when applying
  • A permanent resident of NSW

Please note this is for NSW residents only. If you live outside NSW, you can apply for a national police check in your state or territory.

For organisations you must be:

  • A NSW registered organisation or a national organisation with its head office located in NSW and hold an ABN/ACN
  • Demonstrate that checks are required for employment, licencing, volunteers, adoption and/or probity purposes
  • Agree to the terms and conditions of registration outlined in the P828 application form

How it works

All applicants will need:

For individuals wanting to apply, you will need to:

  • Complete an expression of interest. This will ask for your first name, last name, email address and purpose for volunteering as well as a contact number.
  • Once your expression of interest is processed (usually within 2 to 3 business days) you will receive a secure link to your elected email address. Follow the prompts, complete the application using your ID documents and make your payment. Once your application has been approved you will receive your national police check certificate.

Please note:

  • Should you not use this link within the 7 days of its issue, you will need to notify the centre for a new link to be sent.
  • The majority of national police checks are completed within the hour, however for some applications, it may take up to 10 business days to process.
  • If you have any questions regarding lodgement of your application, please contact the team at Criminal Records NSW Police Force on 02 8835 7888.
  • If you need a criminal record check for Australian citizenship, residency, spouse visa, guardianship of a child from another country, working visa, or while travelling or living abroad, you can apply online via the Australian Federal Police website.

More information

Working with children check (WWCC)

A WWCC is different from a police check. If you need a WWCC, please visit the Services NSW website.

Criminal record check

For criminal record checks relating to employment or residency visas, please visit the Australian Federal Police website. If you need a name, date of birth and fingerprint check, apply directly via the NSW Police Force.

Additional helpful links