AICD Foundations of Directorship Program 2019
The Centre for Volunteering is once again partnering with the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) to offer the Foundations of Directorship program.
The AICD is known for its commitment to excellence in governance and its education programs. The Foundations of Directorship is an intensive governance program designed for board members, directors, senior executives and managers.
The program is held over three days and consists of three one-day courses: Governance for Directors, Finance for Directors, and Strategy and Risk for Directors.
Governance for Directors – an introduction to the functions of the board, the wide range of directors duties and responsibilities, internal and external relationships and conducting effective board meetings. Through exploring a director?s role in establishing and exercising effective governance practices, you will be able to make more effective decisions to both minimise your personal risk and maximise the value of your contribution to the governance of an organisation.
Finance for Directors – provides a straightforward examination of financial statements from the director’s perspective. Participants will explore the three key financial statements: the balance sheet, the income (profit and loss) statement and the cash flow statement, and discover how directors use these documents to monitor the financial performance and viability of an organisation. The course also explores the financial aspects of directors statutory duties and non-financial indicators of organisational performance.
Strategy and Risk for Directors – considers how a strategic plan can act as a roadmap to sustainable value creation. Participants will learn how to focus on the long-term direction of their organisation, how to contribute to discussion, make decisions about what the organisation’s goals are and how it will achieve them. This course also improves participants’ understanding of the importance of risk management, and how risks faced by the organisation can be identified, assessed, measured and treated.
Once you have completed the program you will:
- Receive proof of completion including assessment and certificate (and AICD Professional Development Points if relevant).
- Receive take-away course materials.
- Be able to:
- Describe the role and key functions of the board and its directors;
- Explain the purpose and essential features of corporate governance;
- Identify the key duties and responsibilities of directors, and discuss the associated liabilities and their related protections;
- Outline the rights of directors;
- Name the relevant regulatory frameworks and explain the roles of various regulators;
- Discuss a director’s role in formulating, implementing and monitoring strategy;
- Consider a board’s composition, structure and performance;
- Describe how to establish and manage key strategic planning frameworks;
- Explain how to use corporate strategy to drive financial performance;
- Outline a director’s role in aligning and managing the interests of key stakeholders;
- Illustrate a director’s role in identifying, assessing and managing risk;
- Discuss risk avoidance, risk culture and the different levels of risk appetite;
- Analyse financial information in balance sheets, income statements and cash flow statements; and
- Discuss how to monitor the financial and non-financial indicators of organisational performance.
The AICD is a national organisation committed to strengthening society through world-class governance. We aim to be the independent and trusted voice of governance, building the capability of a community of leaders for the benefit of society. Our membership of more than 43,000 includes directors and senior leaders from business, government and the not-for-profit sectors.
Withdrawal/cancellation before 6 May 2019 will result in a full refund of the course fee. Withdrawal/cancellation between 6 May and 31 May 2019 will attract a partial refund with deductions made for actual costs incurred. There will be no refund for withdrawal after 31 May 2019, with no exceptions.
The Foundations of Directorship program will be tailored to suit attendees. Relevant details, including whether the course is suitable for you, are available on the AICD website.
In order for the program to run we require a minimum of 15 participants. If the minimum is not met by Monday 6 May, a full refund will be given to all registrants and the course will be cancelled.
Three day program at The Centre for Volunteering in The Rocks:
- Wednesday 31 July 2019
- Thursday 1 August 2019
- Friday 2 August 2019
You will have three months after the course to successfully complete an online assessment to qualify for your certificate (which can contribute to Professional Development Points should you become a member of AICD).
$2,800 ex GST- Member
$2,895 ex GST- Non-member
We MUST have minimum 15 enrolments to proceed.
- 3 workshops, morning/afternoon tea and lunch
- All course materials
- Post program assessment and certificate (for successful completion)
- Waiver of AICD joining fee for those taking up membership
Register your expression of interest or, for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.