AICD Foundations of Directorship Program – last opportunity at this price!
The course comprises three consecutive days – Monday 26, Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 February 2018. CLOSING DATE FOR NOMINATIONS IS THURSDAY 25 JANUARY 2018.
The Centre for Volunteering is offering an intensive Foundations of Directorship program through the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD).
Known for its commitment to excellence in governance and its governance programs, AICD has developed this short but intensive governance program for CEOs, board and executive team members, or those working with board obligations, who are involved in the community sector.
The program consists of six sessions on three course subjects – Governance for Directors, Finance for Directors, and Strategy and Risk for Directors. The six sessions will be held over three days at the Centre for Volunteering in The Rocks .
By completing the program successfully, you will receive a highly regarded certificate from AICD and develop a deeper understanding of best practice in director performance and compliance requirements. You will learn in a cohort of people from similar environments, facing similar challenges and experiences. You will become more confident to contribute to your board’s performance and drive better outcomes for your organisation.
Governance for Directors – an introduction to the functions of the board, the wide range of directors’ duties and responsibilities, board internal and external relationships, and conducting effective board meetings. Through exploring a director’s role in establishing and exercising effective governance practices, you will develop a solid foundation from which to make more effective decisions that will minimise your personal risk and maximise your contribution.
Finance for Directors – provides a straightforward introduction to financial statements from the director’s perspective. Participants will explore the three key financial statements – the balance sheet, the income (profit and loss) statement and the cash flow statement – and discover how directors use these statements to monitor financial performance and assess organisational performance. The course also examines the financial aspects of directors’ statutory duties and non-financial indicators of organisational performance.
Strategy and Risk for Directors – developing a strategic plan is a roadmap to sustainable value creation. Participants will learn how to focus on the long-term direction of their organisation, and how to contribute to discussion and decisions about what the organisation’s goals are and how it will achieve them. The course will also improve participants’ understanding of the importance of risk management and how risks faced by the organisation can be identified, assessed, measured and treated.
Six sessions delivered across three consecutive days in the Training Room at the Centre for Volunteering .
By partnering with AICD, The Centre can offer this program at a significant discount. The cost is $1,995 for our members – a 40% discount on the equivalent AICD program fee. Course materials and assignment support are included.
An added bonus is a discount on AICD membership. Any participant who applies to become a member and otherwise meets the eligibility criteria for AICD membership, will receive a $200 discount on the membership fee.
A minimum of 16 participants is required to run the program. For enrolment and invoicing please contact Lesley Milbourne, Director of Sector Development, on 0408409043 or email@example.com
Once you have completed the course you will:
- receive proof of program completion including assessment and certificate (and AICD Professional Development Points if relevant)
- receive take away course materials
- gain the capacity to:
- describe the role and key functions of the board and its directors
- explain the purpose and essential features of corporate governance
- identify the key duties and responsibilities of directors, and discuss the associated liabilities and their related protections
- outline the rights of directors
- identify the relevant regulatory frameworks and explain the roles of various regulators
- discuss a director’s role in formulating, implementing and monitoring strategy
- consider a board’s composition, structure and performance
- describe how to establish and manage key strategic planning frameworks
- explain how to use corporate strategy to drive financial performance
- outline a director’s role in aligning and managing the interests of key stakeholders
- illustrate a director’s role in identifying, assessing and managing risk
- discuss risk avoidance, risk culture and the different levels of risk appetite
- analyse financial information in the balance sheets, income statements and cash flow statements
- explain how to monitor the financial and non-financial indicators of organisational performance.
The Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) is a national organisation committed to making a positive impact on society and the economy through governance education, director development and advocacy. Its membership of more than 39,000 includes directors and senior leaders from business, government and the not-for-profit sectors. AICD is well known for its Company Directors Course ™.